That’s the after picture. Here’s the before:
This is another thrift store dress. It started as sort of a prairie dress with shoulder pads, but I loved the detail on the front and the general structure of the dress. The waist fit, but everything else was too big. Excuse all the awkward faces in these photos. That is about all I had in me when we were taking these pictures.
First I ripped off the sleeves. Then I used chalk to draw a new neckline. I followed this tutorial from Cotton and Curls to make a facing. You can faintly see a yellow chalk line above the bust in this picture where I drew the new neckline.
The top of the dress was baggy under the arms without the sleeves, so I took it in at the side seams above the waistline before I sewed the facing on. Here is the dress post-cutting/pre-taking in side seams and pre-facing.
I used twill tape for the straps, both blue and white (the white is under the blue)
The back of the dress originally had 6 buttons holding it together, spaced widely apart. When I lowered the neckline, there were only two buttons left on the dress. I added two more buttonholes and sewed on two of the previously removed buttons. The first and third buttons from the top are the ones I added.
I also lopped off about 4 inches from the hem so the dress hits just above my knees.
That’s it! Now I’ve got a nice airy fit and flare dress to wear this summer.
Thanks to my sis Ro for these pictures. I drove down to visit her and she was kind enough to photograph all my recent sewing projects. She has been away for the past 5 months in Spain, and I am so happy to have her home!
dress // thrifted / altered :: bag // thrift store :: shoes // Shoemint
And I’ll leave you all with a spinning picture: