Oh look I sewed something! It’s been a while- I think the last thing I made was the Cabernet Cardigan I sewed before I moved out of Richmond last year. My sewing machine has been active mainly mending and altering things I already own. But then winter abruptly turned into spring and I thought it would be nice to have another loose dress to throw on. Katie’s version of Maya reminded me of how much I wore the first Maya dress I made. I found this lightweight woven rayon (I think I added it to my last order- for the free shipping- from Fashion Fabrics Club or Girl Charlee. It’s been a while). 2 yards of 45″ rayon was ample fabric for this dress. Compared to my last Maya, the construction was very different.
Lots of pictures after these construction details:
- I cut a size 2 of the bodice (down from a size 4 on the last dress) and did a full bust adjustment using this tutorial. Picture below.
- Then I added a 3/4″ seam allowance to the bottom of both the front and back pattern pieces
- I cut a rectangle for the front of the skirt that was 32 x 26″ and one for the back that was 34 x 26″ (big booty adjustment).
- I sewed french seams on the shoulders and sides of the bodice, and on the sides of the skirt
- Then I used bias tape to finish the neck and armholes (instead of the facings provided in the pattern)
- The skirt was shirred until it was the size of the bodice waist and attached using a 3/4″ seam allowance
- The seam allowance was overlocked and then pressed up toward the bodice. It was sewn down as close to the edge as possible, leaving space for 1/2″ elastic to be inserted (this video was helpful)
- I inserted a piece of elastic the size of my waist, sewed the ends together and then finished the waistband.
- I made a 2″ hem at the bottom of the skirt for some extra weight.
Here you can see the difference between the original front bodice pattern (right) and the adjusted piece (left- the original is traced on it in blue)
Here are the pretty bias tape/french seam finished insides and the hem:
I might add some patch pockets on later this summer if having a dress sans pockets proves to be impractical (it probably will be…)