Hello! I’ve been away for a while, busy with work, applying to grad school (and getting in), and so many weddings. I have a bunch of half-finished dressing sitting around my apartment, including a couple Clovers (finished soon, hopefully), another copycat dress and… drum roll please… my sister’s wedding dress! There will definitely be pictures of that coming up. My time sewing lately has been spent either on alterations, mending, or the wedding dress. I did a bunch of thrift store hunting and finding, and found a couple gems that I had fun altering. The only thing I’ve sewn from scratch (that isn’t sitting in my UFO pile) recently is this cute little black number.
I found this dress on super sale at Madewell this winter, and loved wearing it with leggings and socks:
I was sad to pack it away when the weather got warm. I loved the fabric, cut and length. I had a couple yards of dry stretch cotton from Mood that was the exact same weight and stretch as the original dress. So, I used it to make a pattern for this warm-weather version. I laid the dress flat and traced it, then folded my traced version in half, trued the lines, and added seam allowances and a scoop neck.
I made this dress while my serger was in the shop; it was a challenge to sew a knit dress with only my regular sewing machine. I used my walking foot most of the time. I also experimented with different lengths/widths of zig-zag stitches on scrap fabric before sewing the dress. For the gathered waist, there is a strip of fabric zig-zag stitched on top and bottom around the waistline of the dress, with elastic inserted after.
It was a quick and simple project, and hopefully one I’ll repeat in another color.
My sister and I took a walk with her dog in Frick Park a few weeks ago. I must have been laughing at something funny the dog was doing in this pic.